ISO 27001 is an Information Security standard which sets out how to establish, implement, maintain, monitor, review and improve Information Security for your business. Some organisations will naturally follow aspects of this best practice but many decide to work towards the full certificate.
With the ever-increasing number of attacks on computer systems, Information Security is something no business should ignore, and can bring the following benefits:
Improved efficiency and working processes
Reduced risk of security attacks
Proof that you are serious about security
Increased ability to tender for work
Enhanced protection for the company
A good foundation for future growth.
The ISO 27001 standard can appear daunting, however, these tips below will help you on your journey:
1) Ensure the certification body you chose is UKAS approved, such as The British Assessment Bureau
2) Get management buy-in, appoint an Information Security Management (ISM) and ensure they have sufficient time and resources
3) Don't be afraid to ask for help or use template documents
4) Get organised with a document management system
5) Communicate the process internally and gain staff buy-in
6) Check your other internal processes, such as health and safety, are up to date. These areas can be checked during the audit.
7) Don't stress!